ForestLearning conference field tours and workshops 2018
Come and join ForestLearning at the following teacher conference events happening around the country through the year. This list will be updated regularly with notifications of upcoming events being posted to the ForestLearning Facebook page - www.facebook.com/forestlearningau Like our page and get notifications of all the latest news and resources!
- 29 April - 1 May: Primary Industries Education Foundation National Conference: Canberra. www.piefa.edu.au/conference-2018.html
Offsite double workshop via bus to the National Arboretum, Canberra with world renowned forest educator, Rick Zenn, manager ForestLearning Beth Welden, Australian National University forest scientist, Cris Brack and Forest Education Foundation educators Darcy Vickers and Hannah Kench.
- 2-3 May: ForestLearning Professional learning - World Forestry Education Institute workshop. 2-3 May. National Arboretum, Canberra. www.eventbrite.com.au/e/world-forestry-centre-educators-institute-program-registration-43160476146
Want to incorporate forests and sustainability contexts within your curriculum, botanical garden education program, NaturePlay programs or sustainable forest or wood organisation? Need a professional learning program that gives you fresh, innovative hands-on ideas and skills that you can use in your classroom or workplace tomorrow? Come to ForestLearning's World Forest Education Institute workshop, supported by World Forestry Center's Rick Zenn, National Arboretum Canberra and ANU Fenner School of Environment and Society as well as presenters from alumni of the USA Oregon International Education Institute program. This is the first time this program has been adapted to present outside of the USA so come and be inspired!
- 8-11 July: CONASTA 67, Sydney. www.asta.edu.au/conasta
Workshop on Forestry - the original STEM!
- 17-18 August: Geographical Association WA Conference, Perth. www.gawa.asn.au/gawa/PROFESSIONAL_LEARNING-GAWA_CONFERENCES.htm
Field Tour - Forest learning education program: The timber industry – responding to globalisation.This fieldwork includes two parts:
• Tour of sustinable pine plantation and Wesbeam
• Presentation about the timber industry and its future
• Education handouts
This excursion will investigate the changes taking place in the spatial distribution of the production and consumption of timber and its byproducts. Furthermore, the presentation will include examples of cultural diffusion, adoption and adaptation. The presentation will investigate the ways people embrace, adapt to, or resist the forces of international integration in relation to the timber industry. Global, regional and local examples will be referred to and teachers will be supplied with educational resources.
Wesbeam is a Western Australian owned, unlisted public company operating from an $110 million purpose-built manufacturing plant in Neerabup, north of Perth. Using state of the art equipment from New Zealand, Japan, Finland and Germany, Wesbeam manufactures high quality Laminated Veneer Lumber (LVL) - the only plant of its type in Australia. Wesbeam LVL is a high-value engineered wood product made from plantation timbers.
- Date TBC: Geography Teachers Association Victoria
Field Tour /workshop to a sustainable forestry site - hands-on activities to equip you for your classroom and free education handouts and classroom resources.